My FIRST few days in Domains 1995-1996. Alone! Then the Domain Gold Rush of 1998

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My FIRST few days in Domains 1995-1996. Alone! Then the Domain Gold Rush of 1998

Post by BigShot on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:58 am

Can the same thing happen with .tel what happened to .com before?

A retrospection:

http://www.ricksblog.com/2013/09/my-first-few-days-in-domains-1995-1996-alone-then-the-gold-rush-of-1998/
BigShot

Warning level : 100 %

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My FIRST few days in Domains 1995-1996. Alone! Then the Domain Gold Rush of 1998

Post by TELwax on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Retrospection and introspection are good but don' t get abuse by story re-telling and self marketing.

What is really more instructive and thank you for the focus provided by your link, are the comments built of their pain and sweat from stakeholders below the said article in reaction to the re repainted historical rewind .
One may keep in mind :
- this article is about domainers industry, and dot TEL is not really compatible with domainers industry as everyone reading this forum knows, or can easily understand with the shortcut that dot TEL are not fully compatible to data/media hosting, nor (therefore) to SEO .
TELs ' use is more a hard anchored fixed digital asset or pivotal identity or reference, connecting to more flexible digital assets or ressources (personal , or belonging to other).
And still usage, applications, and business models are to be established, without trying loose copycats of business models from .com which by essence would not work Under direct replication ( a reason why TElnic and TELnames themselves still have difficulties of being very successfull).

So IMHO , NO THIS would not happen with dot TEL.
What can happen in dot TEL is that some smart mix between existing features and specific usage , may take more momentum filling some gaps in the existing digital world (not that I did not write Internet world) through finally sustainable business models.

Focusing on today nice experiences with TELs (not outnumbering zero or no experience of empty TELs number in TELnic's TELs registry so far) , enhancing and showcasing practically of several usage of TELs/TLN is the most positive and self rewarding way forumers can here (self)contribute.

So let's not look in the past with the only hope History will repeat itself for TEL (no hope), but do look in the Past to build new future by filling gaps and building bridges (with TEL features&limitations, if in a TEL forum) inside incomplete internet blue prints from third parties already marketed with millions of dollars ( internet, social , new gTLDs etc) .

In further reference to goldrush mentionned in the article, if there is gold, one may have more chances to find it in these geo-logical layers much more suitable for prospection, then on the city pavement in a flood lighted street.
For domainers, as also mentionned, it is possibly safer to buy/rent/lease very valuable dotcom even in high priced high street areas, then speculating on sudden erection of a new city and skyscrapers in the middle of a dry creek in the desert.
However no one can blame some investor to speculate on arid land in the desert.
If the investor afford also bringing water and energy the results can be there (no direct relation to Dubai, which hopes,fears,vision, I like a lot ...), but if they don't, they can't blame the piece of land they have chosen, whatever the initial owner/promoter pitched    ;+)
TELwax
Junior
Junior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My FIRST few days in Domains 1995-1996. Alone! Then the Domain Gold Rush of 1998

Post by TELwax on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Also VERY interestingly is the "relative" following post about .mobi   "failure" in the eyes of the same domainer, and about impact of new gTLD destroying one another :

http://www.ricksblog.com/2013/09/can-the-new-gtlds-have-a-domino-collapse/

Happily , dot TEL is (badly) different, so will not be impacted the sameway by new gTLDs ... and may also survive better than .mobi which started to be trapped a few years ago by the responsive design or mobile redirection concepts.
(of course .mobi registrations numbers are still high compared to TEL ) ...

But .mobi is a 4 letters and that is a (self)killing in addition to losing the one time illusion of exclusivity to mobile web era.

Finally comparing executed advantages from .mobi to executed advantages from .TEL (Under pro TEL or Under TLNS)  could be a nice subject for users in this forum, possibly showing (?) that finally , future is not dark for TEL  if we stick to the point of real applications and real usage on line now, and not to the false idea of number of registration (easy metric, but a tinted tool as a collateral from domain investors, outnumbering and quicker by essence, than IRL domain users, illusionned by previous gold rush experience as described very well above in initial post referred to) .
TELwax
Junior
Junior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum